Saturday, August 2, 2008

How to Enable Desktop Cube on KDE.

Some days ago, I was discussing with Thilanka(one of my best friends), how to enable 4 desktops(or desktop cube) on KDE. because he dad a problem with compiz. only 2 desktops were working. :) cube couldn't be activated.

Then when I moved to KDE 4.1 from Gnome, I got the same problem. So I search a bit and observed that number of tools to configure compiz including the default one desktop-effects-kde, which is called Desktop Effects on the menu.

How I resolved the problem...
1. I installed simple-ccsm which is called Simple CompizConfig Settings Manager.
2. From simple-ccsm, I selected Medium Effects from profile. Then applied.
(Now compiz is working, but only 2 desktop are enabled. So then what...?)
2. Go to Desktops tab on simple-ccsm, then do following
- Appearance
Desktop cube
- Desktop columns
scroll it to 4
- Desktop rows
scroll it to 1

So now on Desktop preview you can see four desktops. Now it should finely work.

There may be other easier methods to do this. But I hope this would be helpful for someone. I prefer to know, how to do that manually. Anyone knows?

1 comment:

Thilanka Niroshana said...

Thanks my dear friend for helping me out on the desktop cube issue.